Saatchi Gallery

       Yesterday I went to the Saatchi Gallery in Sloane Square, London. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the name Saatchi, he is a famous art collector who is known for collecting contemporary british art. To be completely honest I am not all that into contemporary art, I don't get the extreme infatuation that goes along with this type of art, art that when you look at it you think to yourself "well now I could have made that in kindergarten."
     Although when I went to the Saatchi Gallery yesterday I think I gained a greater understanding for this type of art, maybe even a bit of inspiration. As I walked through the gallery I stumbled upon a piece of art that is not all that aesthetically pleasing, on the contrary it is actually rather ugly. The piece was entitled, Down by Juliana Cerqueira Leite. Have a look. 
    So you are probably thinking the same thing I was. This is was until  I understood how the piece was made. So this artist Juliana Cerqueira Leite made this box, a box that was slightly bigger than herself. She took this box and she filled it with clay. She then went atop the box and began to dig she dug with every part of her body until she clawed he way to the bottom of the box. Once she was finished she poured plaster into the hole she had dug and she made a plaster cast, which is now displayed at the gallery. The piece may not be pretty or something you would ever consider putting on display in your living room but it is still nonetheless brilliant. When you get up close to the piece you can see her toes, hands and knees and you can feel her struggle. I find the piece inspiring because it incites such a strong emotion. 

0 comments: