The wounded cathedral

So last week I took a trip out to France with my family. I found myself so uninspired by Paris, which upset me a lot. Surprisingly enough though on our day trip out to Normandy is where I found true inspiration. In a little village called St. Lo there stands a cathedral, St. Notre Dame Eglise. When you look at the cathedral you notice that much of its face is missing. This is because the church had been bombed in WWII. There is also a neutral shell  remaining lodged in the side of the cathedral. When the city was looking to rebuild as there was almost nothing remaining, one architect decided to leave the cathedral the way it was. This was to remind the people of St. Lo and the people of the world that freedom is not free it comes at a cost, this cathedral would be a reminder of what that cost was during WWII, and furthermore it would be known as the wounded cathedral.

        

0 comments: